The Australian Pain Society (APS) recognises the limitations of the current evidence basis of the prevalence and impact of chronic non-cancer pain conditions in Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people. These groups appear to be significantly under-represented on a population basis in referrals to, and amongst those attending, multidisciplinary pain management services.
The APS is seeking expressions of interest from individuals or organisations with an interest in or currently undertaking research and/or other activities related to pain in Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people.
Potential outcomes may include:
- Creation of registry of current and proposed research activities
- Position paper on current evidence basis and gaps in knowledge on pain in indigenous Australians
- Pain assessment tool language-specific validation trial
- Guide for culturally sensitive pain assessment
- Review of traditional bush medicine and healer (Ngangkari) techniques
Please feel free to share this information with colleagues who may be interested in this important project.
Dr Tim Semple